Matt Powell is an experienced and aggressive litigator who has protected clients his entire career.
Matt joins Payne, Powell, Truitt & Chandler after a distinguished career as the Criminal District Attorney for Lubbock County, Texas. During his time as District Attorney, Matt fought for thousands of victims and was their voice when they had no voice.
During his time as a prosecutor, Matt tried over 300 jury trials, including approximately 60 murder cases and 17 capital murder cases. He never lost a felony case. Not only did he handle criminal cases but he was also the chief counsel for Lubbock County, where he managed all civil lawsuits, contracts and other legal issues pertaining to Lubbock County.
Matt's cases and work have been featured on NBC Dateline, ABC 20/20, 48 hours, Forensic Files, Investigative Discovery, Solved, Crime Watch Daily and various other programs.
For his work protecting clients, Matt has been awarded numerous recognitions including, The State Bar of Texas Prosecutor of the year, The Association against Sexual Assaults, Harry Cottle Justice Award, and the MADD Prosecutor of the year.
Matt has a servant's heart and has volunteered his time with the Lubbock Area United Way, University Medical Center Foundation, Make-A-Wish, Family Guidance and Outreach and the Children's Advocacy Center.
Matt has been an adjunct professor for the Texas Tech School of Law and Wayland University and has been a lecturer for the American and International Law Institute, the Association of Government Attorney's in Capital Litigation, the Texas District and County Attorney's Association and the National District Attorney's Association. Matt has also spoken to thousands of lawyers on the use of Courtroom Technology.
If you are looking for an experienced, dedicated and straight-forward attorney to handle your case, please call Payne, Powell, Truitt & Chandler. We are here to protect and serve you!
Matt Powell & Family
- Married to Christie Fisher Powell for 28 years
- Son, Dane who is 23
- Daughter, Victoria who is 21
- Attends Southcrest Baptist church where he is a Sunday school teacher and Deacon
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law (all felonies & DWI and all misdemeanors)
- Divorce and Family Law
- Serious Personal Injury
- Real Estate
- Estate Planning
- School Law
- Civil Litigation
Professional Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- Lubbock County Bar Association
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- State of Texas
- Northern District of Texas (Federal)
- University of Tulsa School of Law
- Texas Tech University
- Texas A&M University
- Criminal District Attorney, Lubbock County, Texas
- 1st Assistant District Attorney, Lubbock County, Texas
- Assistant County Attorney, Montgomery County, Texas
- General Counsel, Midland Independent School District